1.Greetings & welcome to the courtyard of RAW WAR!
First i want to congratulate on the new album!
- Hi, great thanks for your interest in Embrional’s music and the opportunity to speak on the pages of RAW WAR! We must admit, immodestly, that music of our new offspring has met our expectations. It is, in fact, not only dirty and full of tar but also clear, heavy and dark at the same time…
Our joy is even greater that the record has been receiving very positive feedback from listeners all over the world. Now is the time to introduce ourselves to the readers of your webzine.
2.How was the the thought process when starting creating this very album?
Was there something specific you wanted to portray from start or did it evolve under time?
- When it comes to the content of the album, the whole material had formed for two years and evolved constantly with us,. When we created the tracks we had no clue what they would be like in final form. Some of them are mutual ideas, which emerged from improvisations at rehearsals, and the rest was a conscious and premeditated work. Kamil brought some rhythms for which we assembled some tunes, and the other way round. We enjoy every note of the material . It was precious for us to achieve abrupt plot twists of the songs in order to directly influence listener’s mood and imagination.
The Devil Inside is sultry, grim and sometimes depressing… Many songs from the album reflect our, not always pleasant, state of spirit. It is a very honest record for which we have prepared quite long.
3.Compared to your first firm full length out in 2012 the "Absolutely Anti-Human Behaviors" this new album seems both richer in the Embrional soul and more "play full" without disregarding origins i think. How would you review it nowadays?
- AAHB is certainly different from the current record and it is what we consciously aimed at. We learn all the time, develop and search for our own path… We work hard to serve music that is intriguing and stimulating for imagination of our listeners…
This is what art and its beauty are all about. We love playing with music as a way of self expression. Of course, we are not indifferent to AAHB, but still it is history which produced positive conclusions. Comparing the two albums one can hear considerable progress, new ideas, sprouting own style. The bar is set high but we love challenges
4.As you already know the new band photo with the mask & scythe is a very eye catching photo that i think will suck in new listeners and get back old ones. How was the photo shoot and who did it with you?
- All photo credits go to Semen Turkowski who did everything with very professional attitude. Ideas for shots and paraphernalia were born live with no special preparation. It was supposed to be raw, without unnecessary cosmetic treatment. First of all, atmosphere of the picture was supposed to suit the album, which went perfect. In the photo Kamil, our drummer, wearing the mask wields the scythe, the rest of the squad stay in background hehe. To be honest, atmosphere of the music and the place of the photo shoot fit perfectly, yet it is a coincidence.
The place is really possessed and tells some story… It carried us away along with the photographer and, well, the results were surprising. Another surprise is our first official video clip that is going to show a little bit different attitude to picture than what is spat out in the Internet. I think that the final results will surprise you either.
5.Well this comes natural talking about that photo, tell me about the small limited versions of that mask/skull.Really evil & petite! hehe
Some 3D machine did it?
- The limited version came from some of labels (Godz ov War and Third Eye Temple) in an amount of 100 copies. It was supposed to be something rare and exclusive for the first 100 people who are interested in our history. We have the mask, made by our friend (cover illustrator since Annihilation demo album 2007), that we use at concerts, photo shoots and wherever possible. It is kind of a mascot like the zombies from Iron Maiden. Since it is a symbol of our band, something precious and symbolic, we decided to share it with our listeners by giving them a miniature clone on the album’s cover.
I believe, the idea is not bad as they have sold very quickly, and the owners enjoy having something precious.The mask was scanned and printed by Marek Gromada at his GROMAR3D studio.
We are planning on shooting “the making of” and you will be able to see how the clones of evil arose.
6.How was last years gigs for you? disasters? victories?
- Well, year 2014 was not abundant with gigs due to perturbations in lineup. We had trouble finding new bassist. When we finally succeeded in finding a proper person, the first gig with Gorguts and the new lineup was called off. We played one concert (quite a good one) in August at a festival in Pyskowice (PL). Unfortunately, at the end of August Kamil, our drummer had a bad bike accident, which totally eliminated us from any live activity until further notice.
7.I might missed it but did there come any new merch with the release of The Devil Inside?
- Of course, we are planning on releasing new t-shirts and sweatshirts. We already have demonstrative graphics from Mentalporn, so they will be available soon on our page. Keychains, pendants and other rubbish are of no interest to us, so we are not going to make them.
8.Going back to the album content can you tell something about the lyrics of the songs 910 & Whores, Drugs and Brain Dead?
- Song name „910” relates to the story of an American sect, whose creator and leader was James Warren ‘Jim’ Jones. In 1978 910 believers committed mass suicide… Of course, it does not mean that we glorify such acts, we only show human inclination towards manipulation and its outcome. Psychologically based phenomenon of the story is that blindness and faith in words of the ‘godly’ mentor led to mass slaughter of the followers, despite the fact that they could quit the gathering any time. The story fits any fanatic form of worship in today’s world… The problem is omnipresent and dangerous… It is an act of evil in the purest form… Abominable but fascinating, isn’t it?
When it comes to song entitled Whores, Drugs and Brain Dead… well, there were no pompous ideas behind it, hehe. One day, at one of alcohol parties we watched horrors of 70’s and 80’s , The Brain Dead among others. The evening was fun and I came up with an idea to write down a few words to commemorate the event. In this lyric human being was treated in a vulgar, soulless and dispassionate way, because generally, death of an individual from the margins of society is not even counted in statistics. It is our reflection concerning value of life that all people make so much fuss about, but in the end, apart from our family and closest friends, we end up being forgotten.
9.So how looks the rest of this years plans look like? Gigs? some new split?
- Well, as I mentioned earlier, our live activity is kind of suspended, so we cannot promise anything, but we would really like to show our new material on stage!
We are not idle, though. We, that is guitars, meet regularly at rehearsals and practice to be ready for a precise strike when Kamil recovers. Despite appearances the material is very difficult and we want to be well prepared, so we do not suffer from boredom.
We have already been thinking about a successor of The Devil Inside, but without the core, that is Kamil, his ingenious mind and skills, it gets complicated and will surely delay. We hope that the situation will stabilize soon. In the near future LP and the video clip will come out. What’s next? We do not know for the time being…
10.Thanks for your time answering this little interrogation.
Last slice is yours!
- Thanks for the interesting questions. As for me, I would like to encourage readers who have not heard about us yet, and who came across this interview, to listen to what we have created.
You can buy it directly from us via e-mail or from OLD TEMPLE REC.
That would be all.
Marcin & Embrional